Today at CSM, one of our bloggers, Dr. Jimmy Picard, live blogged several talks from the conference at NxtGenPT.com
Here is a Synopsis:
1. Transforming and Optimizing: How to Live the New APTA Vision.
A vision statement is defined as ” what defines the optimal desired future state – the mental picture – of what an organization wants to achieve over time; Provides guidance and inspiration as to what an organization is focused on achieving”
Why is our profession here? According to APTA are here to transform society.
2. Imaging and the Low Back: What’s Useful, What’s not? #APTACSM
Overall it appears that there is little correlation between abnormal MRI findings and pain. For example, according to his presentation
- 76% of asymptomatic individuals will demonstrate disc herniations on MRI
- There is no significant difference between disc degeneration in those with LBP compared to asymptomaticcontrols.
3. Enhance Clinical Outcomes by Providing Inconsistent Pain Experiences
“Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory last forever”
Wow. What a great speaker.
Dr Pearson did a wonderful job covering an enormous amount of information on the science and experience of pain. I will attempt to highlight his key points.